Here is a quick guide/ tutorial/wip gallery for the bow I made to go with my Lady Sylvanas costume. Maybe it can help someone with ideas for their own cosplays. I made this in just under a week with limited suppies. Forgive me for the poor quality pictures, I took them all with my phone.
-Foam, 1mm, 5mm, thick foam mats
-Acrylic paint and paint brushes
So first you need a space to work. Here’s my work bench! I didn’t have any time to clean it up so all my work was done on that itty bitty corner there. I also have my Sylvanas statue for reference. Sitting on the edge of the table is the base I used for the bow. Its a plastic toy bow I bought from a Spirit Halloween store.
Using the 5mm foam I cut out the shape of the arm guard… thing.
Added details with more 5mm foam
I covered this shape with Worbla. To do this I traced the foam onto the worbla and cut it out about .5 – 1 inch around the edge. Starting from the middle and moving out towards the edges, I used the heat gun to heat the worbla and form it over the foam. I also used some sculpting tools to press the worbla down around the details.
Be careful with the worbla! When heated, especially when its heated too much too quick, it can rip like this:
After forming the worbla over the shape I used an exacto knife to cut off the excess.
Using thick foam mats I cut out this weird shape for the bottom of the bow.
Added details with thin foam:
Sandwhiched the shape between two sheets of worbla
Pinch the edges together
Push the worbla into place with sculpting tools
Cut with the exacto knife
I had some spare wonderflex that I was never gonna use so I decided to finish up the rest here. Same technique as the worbla. I cut out four of these shapes and used them to attach the piece made in previous steps to the bow base.
Back to the worbla
Since the bow base didn’t have the right shape, I cut off the ends, turned them around, and hot glued them back on to adjust the overall curve of the bow.
To hide the seam I curled the shape over the bow
Using Paperclay I filled in the gaps and hid the ugly seams and mistakes
The final product before painting
I don’t have any progress of the painting itself (I rushed it all during a D&D session!) but here is the final final product (No string on the bow cause the conventions don’t usually allow them)
As always, if you have any questions feel free to ask!