So as I mentioned in my last post, my next planned costume is going to be Thresh, the chain warden from League of Legends. I hope to get this outfit done for Anime Expo in July but we’ll see. His attire is pretty straigh forward- gauntlets, long ragged coat with a giant collar, armored boots, ect. But then there’s his face… or maybe lack there-of. At first I debated making a crossplay version of this character and maybe working with facepaint to give a more feminized look. But I quickly tossed out that idea. I have no issues dressing as a male character, people mistake me for one online all the time. My first challenge then was to figure out how to make a convincing floating skull head.
Unlike my Soraka costume, I actually bothered to take progress pictures. I’ve seen lots of cosplayers express interest in this character so I hope that these next few posts can be helpful to my fellow League cosplayers.
Alright, alright, enough babbling. Time to get to work!
The material list for the mask is pretty easy:
– 1 plastic mask base ($5)
-Acrylic paint (I already have a bunch stockpiled)
-2 coat hangers (again these I already had)
-2 packs of paperclay ($20)
-plastic mesh ($2)(Not really sure what this is actually used for, maybe needle point or something)
– 3 colors of cellophane, you know, that plasticy clear stuff that people use when wrapping presents and such ($10)
-Glue gun + glue sticks (something I can’t live without!)
So the total cost should be around $40-50 depending on what supplies you do or do not already have
Okay, step one, cut the mask! It doesn’t have to be super prefect since most of it will be covered in clay anyway, but if you get jagged edges be sure to sand them down so they don’t hurt. I made the eyes large, used the masks chin for the jaw piece, and cut a wide slit for the nose because its important to be able to breathe and the tiny holes in the original mask weren’t gonna cut it.
Step Two making the cap. This part isn’t hard. I used the plastic mesh to make a sort of cap that attaches to the back of the mask and helps hold it on my head. I cut long strips of the plastic mesh about 1-2 inches thick. I glued down one end to the inside of the mask, right about ear level. Wrapped that all the way around until it was a little snug but still loose enough that I could easily take off the mask. Glued that down. The next few strips go across the top of the head to make a dome.
Step Three, figure out where the uh… chain things go. I used the coat hanger wires to create a base for this. One in the middle, and the other two off to the sides. I played around with angles and bent it around before finally gluing it in place.
Once the base is done it’s time for the fun stuff.
Step Four is to take out the paperclay and sculpt his head. I wanted depth and detail and thickness. I used just about 3/4ths of a pack to do this. I can’t give much instriction on how exactly to sculpt it but use water wisely. A llittle bit to wet fingers works wonders, but too much will turn the project into a muddy mess.
Let the clay dry for a few days just to be safe. When the mask is dry use left over clay to fill in any cracks.
Step Five- The wierd fire aura stuff. This is where the cellophane comes in. I cut long rectangles of the stuff and took my scissors to the edges to give it a jagged look. Then I crumbled the who thing up really tight to get some nice texture. Layer that stuff all up the wires and along the cap portion. I used mostly green with a bit of blue thrown in for effect. I tried yellow out but found it sort of got lost.
Step Six- More sculpting! I don’t know why I didn’t do this when sculpting the basic face. Make a bunch of bone shaped shapes (ha) to go up the wires. Make the last one on each wire look like a hook. Let those dry for a few days. I got impatient and tried to cook mine in the oven but even after an hour they were barely dry. I’d just let them air dry like normal, the oven really wasn’t worth it. My dog thought I was making cookies and was disappointed to learn that he couldn’t eat my project (this time).
Step Seven- Glue the bones to the wire then realize it’d be easier to paint them separate. Take them off. Or even better, don’t put them on to begin with.
Step Eight- Paint!! Thresh’s head isn’t black. My paints fought me all the way on this one but eventually I came up with a decent purple. Be sure to add in some highlights and low lights to bring out the sculpt details. Add green accents around the eyes.
Step Nine- Glue the bones onto the wire.
Step Ten- By now it should look pretty awesome. Use this time to clean up any glue gun cobwebs or any other touchups as needed.
The mask will be a little heavy because of all the clay, but it’s nothing unmanageable. I might add some more cellophane further down along the mask but I need to make the coat to see how it all fits together before I mess with that anymore.
Oh! One thing I forgot to mention, I intend to buy some sort of zentai suit like hood in green to wear underneath the mask. That way my eyes wont be seen and it will give me something to attach the jaw too. Hope this helped in some way shape or form!!