Deathwing Progress- Breastplate

Alright, at long last it’s done!! The breastplate of unholy complications. And here, my lovely readers, is how it was made.

I searched countless websites on armor making but no matter how hard I tried or how many rolls of test foam I wasted, I wasn’t able to replicate thier results. So I came up with my own messy method. The very first step was to wrangle in Alex with bribes and trickery. Once he was captured I proceeded to wrap his torso in plastic wrap. I couldn’t take pictures of the process lest he run away and escape. Once he was covered in the plastic stuff I wrapped him in a second player of duct tape. There are many tutorials online for making a body double or dress form using this method. It’s pretty fun. After cutting it off him, taping up the sides and arm holes, it was stuffed and fluffed, and the final neck hole was taped up. Now I had a pretty good replica of his torso.

From the front:

From the side:

Once the dummy was made I heated up a large sheet of wonderflex with my new and improved heat gun! Then I laid the wonderflex over the form and continued to shape and heat it when needed until I had a shape something like this…

Then I did the same to the back and attached the two pieces at the shoudlers, reinforing the shoulder straps with an extra layer of wonderflex. The sides are left open so they can be laced up and fitted. Now the wonderflex is sort of bumpy so to remedy this and give the breastplate more durability I covered it with a few layers of papermache. The papermache is just newspaper dipped in water and flour.

The front:

Side:

Now that the main wrinkles are gone it was time to smooth it out even more with three layers of modge podge. Modge Podge is clear glue used for keeping puzzles and stuff together. After that the whole thing is spray painted to a nice orange color achieved with a layer of orange paint and a fine mist of yellow and red:

It’s starting to look halfway decent, right? Okay so the next thing to do is plan where the armor plates go. I marked those down with a vanishing ink marker. I used this stuff that’s sort of a premade paper mache pulp, just add water! I don’t have any progress pictures of this step so up next comes the paint. The papermache stuff is painted black, then with a dry brush with a little bit of grey paint on it I brushed a light coat over the black to give it dimension. Here is the end result:

The last thing I did was punch some holes up the sides to tie the two halves together:

Ta-Da! All done. This was the hardest part of the armor to make by far.

Advertisements

Published by:

Frekki

My name is Jessica Schultz and I'm a fun loving gamer with a passion for art, costuming, writing, and all things nerdy. During the week I am a game artist, and during the weekends I try to keep up with my costuming and writing. I always have a cosplay project to keep me busy until the next convention. I love helping other artists so if you have any questions at all feel free to ask!

Tags , , , Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s