One of the last few things I needed to complete for my Alexstrasza costume was the wig and horns. Originally I had made a separate headband but soon realized that the best and easiest way to do the horns would be to attach them to a headband and pretty up the space in between to look like the band she wears oddly positioned near her face.
There are many ways to make light horns. If you’ve read my other posts you may have seen the tiefling horns I made. Those were very large but easy to wear due to their weight. Those were made with expanding foam covered in paper mache (strips of newspaper dipped in a flour and water mixture). That method worked well, but they didn’t come out smooth. That was okay for that project since I was going for a more natural look and paint easily covered up an imperfections.
Alexstrasza’s horns are smoother and simpler in shape. So instead of carving them out of foam I simply sewed them up. I choose some remnant fabric that looked leathery, cut out two of each shape, then sewed up the edges and stuffed them with newspaper (hey, gotta save money where I can, right?)
Unfortunately what I didn’t realize was that this lovey fabric couldn’t be glued. The glue peeled off. I love love love hot glue, so me and this fabric were gonna have issues. I made another set of horns out of a simpler black fabric, and sewed them up in the same manner. Once they were done I decorated the headband with gold and red fabric, all the same stuff I used for the other armor pieces. I salvaged some of the better jewels and glued them on to the headband as well.
All the horns needed now was thier gold bands and dangling jewels. Hot glue and gold fabric took care of that need easily. You can see the final result when I post up preview pictures of my cosplay. I also used the jewels as the finishing touches on the collar.
The wig! The last and final part of the costume. I’ve never styled a wig before so this was all experimental. Most people online recommended glue or hairspray. I cut the bangs (I’m an expert at this, I cut my sisters bangs in the wind! The result was similar…) and sprayed them down with half a can of hairspray (an over exaggeration). I don’t have much confidence in the hairsprays holding ability, so I’ll bring it to the convention and touch it up beforehand.
Oh! One more thing, I made some blood elf eyebrows. I might consider them for the final attire, but in order to do so I’d have to cover my real eyebrows and that seems… weird. Anyways, these were made with a little clipping of wig hair from the back where it wouldn’t show. I covered them with super glue and used the nozzel to spread the glue and form the eyebrows into place.
Now all they need is some trimming and further detail shaping.