Tutorial: Cosplay Horns (Outdated!)

I HAVE AN UPDATED TUTORIAL ON MAKING HORNS. CLICK HERE TO VIEW IT!!

So much costuming stuff to catch up on! Besides working on my Alexstrazsa attire, I have a smaller project I am working on on the side. Scarlet (or Scar for short) is my group two Dungeons and Dragon’s character. She is a vain princess who exchanged her heart for demonic powers. Race-wise she is a Tiefling, class-wise she is a warlock. Here’s some concept art of her I drew about a month ago:

Now I have been wanting to make a pair of horns for some time now. Having this new character is the prefect excuse to make some. I didn’t follow her pattern exactly considering how complex the curves are. I stuck with something simple, but at the same time elegant. I do not have many progress pictures of this project, so you’ll have to wait until I make my Alexstrazsa horns to see the step by step progress.

Tiefling Horns, full view

As you can see, the horn design itself curves only on one plane. The inside structure is cardboard,  single, relatively thick sheet. The cardboard was glued to a headband. The interior is foam. Now, so far my blog has mentioned three types of foam. A lot of times I see tutorials that list foam in their supplies, but there are so many types of foam, how do you know which they mean? This specific kind is expanding insulation foam. It comes in a can for about four dollars and can be bought at Home Depot or any similar store. It’s really fun to play with! But beware: its insanely sticky so you’ll want to wear gloves and old clothes. As the picture may or may not show, my poor Styrofoam head has endured much abuse. It sports a fashionable splattering of foam along its crown. I put a weight in the base of the head, stuck the cardboard horns and head band on its head, then sprayed the foam all over the cardboard. Come to think of it, I do have a funny picture of the result:

And that folks, is known as the hissing face. It’s an embarrassing photo to be sure, but it demonstrates what the foam looks like when its applied and dried. When it comes out of the can it immediately starts expanding. This took a little less than two cans.

The next step is to take a serrated knife and carve the horns into thier proper shape. The foam will have gaps and holes, but its not a problem since it’ll all be covered in a layer of paper mache. Here’s another embarrassing image of the horns after paper mache:

img001

Once that was done I added on some ridge details with paperclay, my first time using the product. Many people rave about the stuff, but I was unimpressed. It worked well for my use since I wanted my horns to have some texture, but try as I might, I couldn’t get it to smooth out for other uses. After the basic form was done, I coated it all with Modge Podge; a gluey substance that helps to seal in the paper mache and even out the surface. Its all painted with acrylic paint and decorated with chains and beads.

A close-up:

DSCN4201

The rest of the outfit features a long red cape of sorts that’s attached to both the horns and bracelets. It has yet to be trimmed so it’s a little too long:

DSCN4203

DSCN4202

DSCN4204

The rest of the attire is a little different, but the skirt is the same. I plan of wearing a corset and golden bra type thing with it. This weekend my friends and I will be going to a Renaissance Faire, so more pictures of the completed costume to come!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s